CELT takes adult students and young learners throughout the year and we are especially busy in the summer months. Many of our students choose a homestay as a way of learning more about British culture, integrating with local people, and improving their linguistic skills.

If you have a comfortable home with one or more spare bedrooms, enjoy being with people from other cultures, and are interested in becoming a homestay provider for CELT, then please contact us or check our FAQs for further information.

become a host in 2022

We are currently recruiting Homestay Providers for Summer 2022.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you to arrange a call about becoming a host.


    How do I become a homestay provider?

    Please contact CELT on 02920 339290 or at homestays@celt.co.uk. We will contact you to arrange a visit to your home and give you all the information needed.

    How long do students stay?

    From 1 week up to 11 months. Young learners stay for 2-3 weeks on average.

    Where are the students from?

    All over the world. Mostly from the Middle East, Brazil, Italy, Spain and the Czech Republic. We ask that hosts have only one speaker of any particular language in their home at any one time (unless otherwise requested) and no more than 4 students present.

    What is their English competency?

    This will vary – some students have quite basic English and some students will be advanced. Their level will improve from interaction with you at home as well as in the classroom!

    How old are the students?

    The age range is from 13 to 17 (young learners) or 18 and above (adult students).

    Can I choose if I have a male or female student?

    Yes, you can. You can specify your gender preferences when you sign up.

    What are they studying?

    Young learners have an English course in the morning, combined with a social activity in the afternoon, and a full day trip on Saturdays. Sometimes, there is an evening activity planned during the week as well. Adult students either study in the mornings only or all day.

    What is expected of a homestay provider?

    Hosts are expected to integrate the student into their family and make them feel at home, providing a safe, friendly and welcoming environment. Students should be treated as a member of the family. On the first day, hosts are expected to take the student to the school and show them how to get back.

    How and when do the homestay providers get paid?

    For short-term students, the agreed sum is weekly in arrears. For long-term students (students staying longer than 4 weeks), payment is made monthly in arrears. Payments are made directly to the host’s bank account.

    What food should I provide for students?

    Adult students should receive a half board package (breakfast and evening meal) from Monday to Friday and full-board (breakfast, lunch and evening meal) on weekend and holidays. Young learners should receive full board all week (breakfast, packed lunch and evening meal).

    What dietary requirements do they have?

    Students will expect to eat typical British food, so there is no need to make any arrangements. Sometimes, students may have specific dietary requirements. For any special diet (vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, Halal, etc.) £2.00 extra per night will be paid to you.

    What happens with laundry?

    Homestay providers are requested to provide and wash bed linen and towels once a week. Hosts are also required to either include their students’ laundry in the household wash, or, to indicate to the student how to wash their clothes at least once a week.

    What support does CELT provide?

    The accommodation officer is the first point of contact for homestay providers. Additionally, other staff in CELT can answer your queries and deal with any issues you may have. Hosts are given access to a 24/7 emergency contact number.

    How much space do students need?

    Adults should have their own bedroom. Young learners can share a room with other students of the same gender and similar age but must have their own bed. There cannot be more than 2 students in one room unless requested by the school. The bedroom should have a comfortable bed/s, sufficient space & storage for the student to put their belongings, a desk or study space if possible – or somewhere within your home for them to do any work, adequate natural and artificial lighting, and heating.

    Is there a curfew in the evening?

    Yes. Students under 18 must be back home by 9pm. If your student is over 18, you should agree with the student what time they should be at home. While giving a key to a young learner is at the discretion of the homestay provider, a copy of the house key must be provided to an adult student.

    Can I choose who stays at my home?

    Yes. You will be given information about the student before they arrive and before you agree to take them.

    What happens if there is a problem with my student?

    You can contact the school between 9am and 5pm if there are any concerns, where we will be more than happy to help you. There is also an emergency number available for evenings & weekends.

    What happens if my property is lost/damaged?

    CELT cannot be held responsible for any accidental damage or loss of property caused by a student, group leader or teacher to your home. Homestay providers are responsible for having adequate home insurance and informing their insurance provider that they intend on hosting students.

    What happens in a medical emergency/if a student gets ill?

    If a student is taken ill, please contact CELT as soon as possible. Then, if necessary, please take your student to your family doctor. Long-term students will be encouraged to register with your GP, and we will provide each
    student with a letter to help them do this.

    Is transport expected?

    Both adult students and young learners will be able to use public transport to get to and from school. Young learners will already have a bus pass in most cases. Adult students need to get the bus pass themselves. These bus passes will apply to Cardiff Bus only. Hosts are often required to collect their students from the National Museum or bus station on arrival and take them there on departure. If for any reason a host is unable to do that, CELT can arrange for a taxi, however please note that the host is responsible for covering the cost of the taxi.

    I have pets, is that okay?

    Yes, that’s fine! We ask students to specify their allergies and preferences in order to place them with the most appropriate family.

    What happens if I am away/on holiday?

    If you want to take a break from hosting or go on holiday, just let us know and we will update our database to not contact you during this time.

    What happens if there is a change in my circumstances?

    If you move to a new house or carry out significant renovations, along with any changes to people living at your home, please inform us so we can arrange a revisit.

    Do I need to provide any documents?

    Yes. You will need to provide a copy of your annual gas certificate, and a fire risk assessment of your home (we will provide you with the form for this). These documents are required by law for anyone hosting in the UK. If you want to host anyone under 18 – you will need to have an enhanced DBS check every three years. CELT will do this check for you and will explain what documents you’ll need to bring into the office for this. You will also need basic safeguarding and prevent training (online or face to face) and, we will also need a copy of your ID to verify your identity. In addition to this, we will require 2-character references.

    Do homestay providers get paid if students leave their belongings during holiday periods? (e.g. Christmas, Easter)

    Homestay providers get paid half rent for the time that students are not in their home but still holding the room with their belongings.